If you are about to have wrist surgery, it can feel daunting. And maybe a little scary. Or maybe you’ve already had the surgery and you’re wondering “what comes next?” Either way, knowing the facts about taking care of yourself pre and post op can help you feel ready for what’s about to come. Here’s what you can expect.
Wrist Surgery Recovery Facts
While you might be having surgery for a variety of reasons (a wrist fracture, maybe carpal tunnel syndrome, strain, bursitis, tendonitis), the recovery will likely look similar no matter the reason. It’s important to follow post operation tips in order to heal better and faster. Now is not the time to be a rebel about your wrist care. After your surgery is complete, your doctor might recommend the following tips for post-op healing.
These tips include:
- Elevate your hand – this will help to decrease inflammation and swelling. Too much swelling can cause pain and get in the way of healing.
- Attend hand therapy with a certified hand therapist – a hand therapist will take note of your particular case and create a therapy program specific to your needs.
- Begin mobilizing fingers as soon as possible to reduce stiffness (under the supervision of a certified hand therapist)
- Ice the afflicted area (with doctor and hand therapist permission) – ice also reduces painful inflammation and they might recommend that you use it a few times a day for 10 minutes.
Post-Op Benefits of Hand Therapy
Hand therapy is really the key to making a full recovery after surgery. After wrist surgery, once the bones have set (generally after 4-6 weeks), your wrist requires some strength training and rehabilitation to retain full function. A certified hand therapist can help you do just that, as well as:
- Stretching exercises
- Mobility exercises
- Full evaluation of hand and wrist
- Monitoring progress
Hand therapy after surgery will ensure that you’re getting the follow up care you need, while helping you to restore your wrist to its original ability and function.
Why Desert Hand and Physical Therapy is a good choice for post surgery therapy.
Desert Hand and Physical Therapy has been in business for over 20 years. With 10 locations in Arizona and several CHT’s (certified hand therapists), Desert Hand and Physical Therapy has the experience you want in post-surgery care.
Not only are our therapists highly trained, but they are also committed to serving our clients with compassion, kindness, and respect. Our mission is to help you heal to the best of our ability and get you back to the activities you love.
Additionally, Desert Hand and Physical Therapy creates custom-made splints and braces in-house for hands and wrists. It’s truly a one-stop-shop type of clinic.