Lefties make up around 10% of the world’s population. That is approximately 1 in 10 people who are southpaws. It’s time to take a moment to celebrate all of the lefties in the world who have fought a lifetime battle against scissors, three-ring binders, and right-handed desks.
We’ve rounded up some amazingly fun left handed facts you may have not known.
10 Surprising Left Handed Facts
- People who are left-handed tend to excel in visual-spatial tasks such as architecture and fine arts while those who are right-handed excel in science and math. However, 4 out of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were lefties.
- There are more lefties with IQs over 140 than right-handed people, according to research done at St. Lawrence University in New York. Some famous and incredibly smart left-handed people include Benjamin Franklin, Charles Darwin, Bill Gates, Leonardo Da Vinci, Isaac Newton, and Albert Einstein.
- Left-handers make great tennis players, swimmers, boxers and baseball players. In fact, almost 40% of the top tennis players are left-handed.
- 4 out of the 7 most recent US presidents have been left-handed—Barack Obama, George H.W. Bush, and Bill Clinton were all southpaws.
- A mother over the age of 40 is twice as likely to have a left-handed child.
- Approximately 10% of all humans are left-handed and approximately 50% of cats are left-handed.
- Left-handedness tends to run in families. The British royal family has 4 lefties: Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen Mother, Prince Charles, and Prince William.
- People who are left-handed process things much more quickly than righties. Research has shown that the connections between the right and left side of the brain are faster in left-handed people.
- Left-handed people may have better hearing and have the ability to hear rapidly changing sounds.
- Left-handed people may be more affected by fear. Lefties are more easily scared than right-handed people and more likely to suffer from the post-traumatic stress disorder.
Scientific Left Handed Facts
Left-handed people are more likely to:
- have allergies
- have migraines
- have trouble sleeping
- use the right side of the brain the most
- reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right-handers
- be better at multi-tasking
- adjust more readily to seeing underwater
At Desert Hand Therapy we love our lefties and righties all the same!